Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tomorrow, Greyhound moves back to . . .

OHMIGOD . . . my. head. just. hurts.

If you're following along:
Stoughton Rd until March 31
Baldwin and E Washington April 1 to 5
North Transfer Point April 6 & 7
TA Truck Stop April 8
North Transfer Point April 9

From: "Harmon, Ray"
Date: April 8, 2010 1:02:59 PM CDT
To: "Schmidt, Chris" , "Cnare, Lauren" , "Maniaci, Bridget" , "Bidar-Sielaff, Shiva"
Cc: "Mikolajewski, Matthew" , "Dryer, David"
Subject: RE: City meeting with Greyhound recap


Alders-

I was just informd by Eric Thiry that Greyhound could not finalize a deal with the TA Truck Stop. Eric also contacted Ald Rhodes-Conway about using the NTP again and she did not object.

Beginning tomorrow Greyhound will operate out of the NTP again. Eric will also be contacting Kelley Williams Market as planned.

At least we're making progress, they are at least contacting affected alders.

5 comments:

  1. And again I ask: How exactly are Greyhound passengers supposed to know about these changes?

    Although I know your blog is popular, Brenda, I'm not sure everyone is going to get the word. Even though I knew about the truck stop move, it didn't appear in the on-line version of the print media (Madison.com) until late last night. Good luck with that 6:45 AM bus!

    Yesterday, Metro staff told us that they had to go out and tell people standing around on E Wash and Baldwin - outside the Metro offices - that they were in the wrong place. Needless to say, lots of unhappy customers. It's not Metro's fault either. They are perfectly happy to have people at the NTP, and were only trying to help those lost souls standing out on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, I have no idea how they are supposed to know. I only hope that the media reads my blog and helps get the word out, but you're right, the issue here is with Greyhound. They could at least post some temporary signs at all the locations they have been at saying what is going on. And I think they should have a shuttle to get people to the new sites as they move around, this is absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My god, this would be funny ... if it didn't screw over so many people who just need to travel somewhere without unnecessary hassles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why couldn't Greyhound have stayed at E Wash and Baldwin for just a week or so until they got this straightened our? Because the one of the mayor's big developer buddies didn't like that bus riders were congregating in front of his "For Lease" building.

    When the Mullins Co. says about bus riders "not in my backyard," the mayor not only agrees, he forces Greyhound to immediately move.

    But when an established neighborhood objects to a developer like Mullins or Hammes wanting to build an over sized building that robs sky and adds traffic, noise and other problems, the mayor says "go right ahead, put it in their backyard."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you suppose that all of those Greyhound customers, fed-up with the inconvenience and lack of communication, will start clammoring for train service to and from Madison? It's harder to uproot a train station or change the routes, after all. I'd accuse Mayor Dave of Machiavellian tactics, but I have a hard time believing he's up to it. Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by foolishness, after all.

    ReplyDelete